Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happiness - Know Death

One must face death often for happiness in this life. Whether seen as an end or a change, I prepare for this certainty often. Our communality depends on more than superficial understanding of our ends.

Historically all people watched their loved ones die in bed -this is how death happened. Death was not a cause for celebration per se but the communality of relations and friends gathered together to memorialize the death of a kin offered a venue for catching up with relatives regarding their accomplishments and defeats.

My great grand John Holden died in the predictable circumstances - at home in bed. My maternal grandmother died in her bed at home of colon cancer under the care of a hospice nurse and her daughter Laura, an RN. My father died at home in his sleep with my brother there to watch over him.

I never held a death vigil - I should have helped my father pass but I did not. I missed my greatest experience and I have this regret still.

No comments: