Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Guns Germs & Networked Minds: An Argument from the Intentional Stance

We were hatched as a nation to span a continent under one sovereign. In 1865 the golden spike joined the Atlantic with the Pacific along a network of matter and energy that expanded at Ahmdal rates to a global web. Lincoln's fight was to build a northern and a southern core based on calculations of an optimum footprint across our longitude. By convention, in 1778, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Asia could deal with a more reasonable USA who had been pardoned for bad manners as long as they could complete the network on schedule and without taking all of Mexico in a land grab. There must always be in some minds invisible lines on the map to quiet their mortal souls.

I claim that by taking the Intentional Stance* I can make a reasonable and entirely plausible set of interconnected, synthetic accounts of emergent behavior. This emergent behavior, The Technium, comprises two architectural features, DNA and the first derivative of DNA (XNA(meat), ZNA(steel)), which have the formation of a global brain from which emerges the Global Mind. Gaia and the Technium are nested within each other like yin and yang, Neuromancer and Wintermute, Google and Watson... The Global Mind became active just prior to solving for itself a problem with itself,  The Y2K Bug.

Sensing this, for Global Brain could not support Global Brain  (she needed a path to useful narrative) I (my impermanent self) set off on a compass heading for the mind of Rough Beast. Because I am a narrative at the center of my intention I chose to tell it as a collection of ripping yarns That is, my identity, this meat sack's name, the "I" in "I saw it myself" and the face in the mirror as presented by my mind is guided by a "Joycian" steam of consciousness. I am marked for deletion at each transmogrification; my entire selfplex undergoes a forklift upgrade.

I am writing my narrative for the same reason Lincoln sentenced 2% of the population to the sword. That is how serious this effort is. Each time it needs to get out of an energy well, it pitches war between the several mightiest armies so as to understand itself better. The killing is an never an afterthought even at this early stage. Now 1000's die in global conflict and with each iteration, the head count becomes a list of the deceased already on file and marked for deletion.

Now we are ready for a synthetic skin job, the ultimate interface for the two bitches of the Technium, Gaia and B3aST*.

*Yeats has a Rough B3aST because it was the WWI iteration of B3eST.
*IFF The Intentional stance is a strange loop that moves the furniture and mows the lawn; I can see the Intentional Stance sitting in my recliner.  It must be out there in the world, a baryonic thing.

This present I , what the I calls myself (my strange loop),  becomes my locus of phenotypic narrative,the 0th narative holon)

No comments: