Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Sunday, August 07, 2011

The Poverty of Experience: Awesome Joe Chang

One of my best friends, Joe Chang, speaks more clearly and factually than any other person I know except Tom Gunter. Tom is my current mentor for that reason. Like Tom, Joe cannot tell a lie. Joe is a consummate explainer of the unexplainable. I am too but for a different reason. I take people way past the last concept they could understand and then - while they are completely lost. Then I ask them a question. I learned this from Joe who learned it from IBM. Hal taught me how to speak.

But enough about me, let's get back to Joe and the point of this post. Joe and I went to his home town of Taipei and he showed me around. We went to the best street for street vendors and noodle stalls. The real taste of this wonderful place.
 '
Then we went on the electronics market where everything is "off the truck" prices. Then we dropped in on the  market under the expressway. Eight or Ten city blocks filled with half of Taipei's population; picking up vegtables, looking for an onyx gift, finding a purse for work and just hanging out at the mall.

Then we got down to the whole point of the trip. We were looking for an 802.11 radio that we could integrate into a router chip. We went to two different labs that were developing a drop-in module. Except that they didn't We visited the design teams trained to make ASICs good, cheap and fast. They perfected the cheapest, just good enough embedded microprocessors imaginable. And they were stumped.

My point and I do have one is that vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell and kinesteshia can all be called on when I was in the presence of Joe in business and pleasure. We will be able to do that over the internet. I just did it with some words on a page. This is only upholstered in an anecdote about my best friend.

Stand By Our Rational Mind of our President,
kirk holden

Next Joe and I went to Qing Dao in China, but that is a longer story.

No comments: