Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Sunday, April 08, 2012

The Lamentations

The song that begat all songs pleads for mercy.

Where do we come from, what are we, where are we going?
Here's what I was thinking when I wrote the first sentence. Spoken language is a coohing sound, a primal song that we sing to each other ceaselessly. Since I cannot un-hear what I just heard or un-see what I have seen, I cannot help but hear spoken English as distinct words, not the sound of music. The sound that I once heard as music no longer affects me as pure music affects me. I am bored by the sound of the word "THE" because I hear it so often that only the symbolic content registers in my aural system. The term is Hedonic Satiation; our vocal production depends on a matching aural system that 'cut to the chase' and imprinted a neural patterning that improved the chances that homeostasis was maintained at the lowest work energy -- I go about my day with the least effort and the best outcomes by hearing "The meeting has started" as an imperative to action (get to the damn meeting) rather than as a coohing sound or a musical motif with it's own poetry apart from the symbolic meaning.

All language -- all of our songs we sing to each other -- represent a special pleading for others to show mercy on our efforts to contribute to the good of the tribe. Don't hate me because I  found too few wild onions for our meal. There were some bears that ran me off. Have mercy on me after I sing my song of lamentation.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot unhear what I heard either.