Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Monday, July 04, 2011

Ordered Flesh

Happy Thanksgiving!
I am told that the most efficient producer of the ordered flesh of a chicken - a chicken egg - will soon be bested by biotechnology. Vat grown flesh is not ordered flesh though. The current state of synthetic protein resembles bologna or hot dog wiener. I stuttered my dissent - I was imagining that chicken DNA from chicken sex would always rule the roost. I yield the floor to my son the biomedical engineer; it will be too cheap and plentiful to matter where it came from.

The first thing that results is the mere taste of a thing or more likely the specific and universal 'tastes like chicken' polling of test subjects. Does vat grown protein in fact taste like chicken? Then we have all come out winners.

No comments: