Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hedonic Response Packet

Epicurus; hedonist, epicurian
Within an interval of personal time, a specific moment, I had hedonic response. The familiar fell away in a pleasing interlude as the new environment crowded out the detritus of experience and memory. What were these vertical walls (I would have called them buildings before) and convenient paths in among the trees (I would have called them sidewalks before)? A moment ago this was my neighborhood but that connection to a shared past severed at the end of my perpetual narrative. I stopped the endlessly writing, editing and re-editing of the autobiography in my head. Kirk is always a few steps behind the meat. M3aT precedes self. Consciousness is lowering entropy by describing or encoding a report from a sum of path histories simulation. Imagination is extropy springing from hedonic response. I tell myself how happy I am to exist. Existential hedonism.

The unedited tableau gives me instant to instant pleasure. The links in the chain; the pleasurable responses with rich texture and vivid pretense, the individual moments are pearls on a string. Each intrinsically self-similar but existing as a multitude and connected by a story. The story is a string passing through the center of each pearl. The string came after the pearl The narrative comes after the creation of the moment. The hedonic response packet.

No comments: