Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Imagination Laser Realized

Here is how a laser works. We need three things:

1. A resonant chamber N wavelengths long (N is an integer) with special reflective ends (a mirror at each end to the chamber)
2. A laser gain medium in the chamber.
3. Atoms in the gain medium with electrons bouncing between two states at the frequency of the 'excititation energy' frequency in the laser gain medium.

Here is what happens:
We shine a light into the gain medium. The light is actually electric field and not visible light. We change the direction of the field by switching - at the frequency that we want the electrons to oscillate - the positive and negative poles. Think of a jump rope with a standing wave you produce by shaking back and forth or up and down at the resonant frequency of the length of rope. The two special reflective ends of the resonant chamber are like you at one end and the other jump-rope person holding the other end of the rope.

The gain medium is an amplifier. This means that the energy of the gain medium is coupled to the electrons of the atoms. The atoms are in a crystal lattice that is doped or impregnated with specific 'impurities'. These are very pure impurities - these are specific admixtures of atoms that create too many electrons (negatively doped).

Electrons exist in only a discrete valance bands around the atoms in the gain medium. This is a result of special relativity and quantum mechanics. Think of a 4-lane highway. You can be in any lane but you can only make discrete 'jumps' to another lane. You cannot drive down the white stripe for miles straddling two lanes at once. Picture you car oscillating between two lanes at a specific frequency. Similarly, electrons exist in only two possible valance bands - a high energy state which is like the left-most lane of the highway and a low energy state which is like the right-hand lane.

Each time the electron changes (falls or rises in fixed quantities) from high to low or low to high a photon is emitted at the frequency of the changing electric field. The photon is emitted at precisely the resonant frequency *all at the same precise instant*. In other words the *population* of atoms with electrons in the high valance band becomes a significant portion of the entire population of all atoms in the lattice. At a trip point, the possibility that that many atoms are excited to the same state become improbable and the entire population of atoms with electrons in that valance band drops to zero and

All the electrons fall into the other state at once and the entire pop because the universe does not appreciate the implausible condition that the macro state is full of to many identical micro-states.

Response Policy Dream Now
With this in mind I propose the following. The purposeful action of the body comes not from free will but from an almost instantaneous response. This response policy acts on well defined rules - some good and some not so good - that do not 'rise to consciousness' but are manipulated by body parts acting without fully cognitive processing or holistic processing. I will swat a fly or throw a fast ball by letting my muscle memory take over. I can balance on a bosu ball because my legs 'know' how to make small adjustments to keep my center of gravity over the proper point over the ball. The signals from sensory nerves does NOT travel all the way to my brain and back. That is how I balanced on the bosu ball the first time I tried it and could not find my balance. I trained my legs to operate from a response policy that did not 'rise to consciousness' for fine motor response.

If I can 'turn off the narration' that follows behind the action I can get into a zone where consciousness 'turns itself off' and simply aligns itself without a time delay to my bodily response. At this point I have two states I am balancing where waking life consciousness precisely aligns with my embedded response policy. My mental life is in harmony with my meat suit response. I fuse by being and becoming and my 'self' completely disappears.

[incomplete, thinking about this for a bit...]

Narrative Dream Now
The Dream Now is split into two an ensemble of dispositions. The actionable response - what I will most likely do or the behavior I will exhibit - is Znatural. The resulting probability function is a necessity function with a widening cone constrained by contingency. My Narrative Now together with my Dream Now is a superposition of several wave functions. The arrow of time pushes me down a multitude of paths until I must move down a set of possible branches - the march of Znatural forward in time. The collapse of the wave function fuses the probable now with the actual now - in a specious moment series. The closer or more tuned response and anticipated response become the more efficient the laser becomes.

derp de derp derp derp...

No comments: