Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Friday, May 04, 2012

Knowing What You Own

"Does your dog bite?"
"No"
[pats dog, gets nipped]
"You Said Your Dog Doesn't Bite!"
"That's not my dog."

I was talking to a friend today about assets and liabilities of character. A year as a Scout Master is my greatest character assets. I own that. BSA owns the process but assigns the status to me. They own that.

I was talking to Tom Gunter the other day and he said to make sure they could afford me. I thought he meant that I should drive a hard bargain on the hourly rate. He meant that I needed to make clear what I was contributing to some one at the highest level. I would need to cultivate this relationship so that I got clear signs that my work was considered of little value. I could give away more of what I own. My time.

I made lunch plans with a friend of mine who was laid off at the same time I was. We worked close to one another and we both respected each others work. We each had a numerous medals of valor. We own that.

I don't own a house right now and frankly it feels about the same as owning a house. I have a nice bed, clean sheets and a flush toilet of my own. But I don't own that -- I just get to use it. A pension fund or an African despot owns the apartment complex. I doubt anyone knows all the people that own all the scattered parts of the title deed. I pay every month for the right to drive a car. If I stop paying, I lose my right to drive this car. I don't think I have ever owned a car. I own my bike.

1 comment:

Thadeus Knoxford said...

thumbz upz fer realz yo
(pop culture lingo((to the MAX)))