Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Friday, March 21, 2014

Letter to Paco: 21Mar - Popper, Hayek, and Jung

Austrian Synchronicity is the best kind.

What you were saying about reality is that you are a positivist. As an EE, I am most def a positivist w.r.t. the things I build and sell.

I will use "The Secret" and "Seth Speaks" vs. IEEE 754 Floating Point Arithmetic Specification. Few things in this corner of the multiverse have less wiggle room as positivist propositions about the world than IEEE-754. Few things have less substance than TS and SS. What you think about floating point arithmetic is of little concern to the spec. How you feel about it matters little to me. How I feel about it should matter to you. But I am in a vanishingly small population of apes that have feelings that matter about IEEE-754. I am part of a vast audience of dupes when I care about TS or SS.

I don't think this word means what you think it means.
How you feel about TS and SS matters more than what you think and feel about IEEE-754. Except for this fact; the only thing that counts in this life is how I behave. How I move the locus of phenotypic effect (how i manage homeostatis) has an awful lot to do with my subjective experience. If I pay someone to teach me the secrets of TS then TS has real world (positivist real, real real) effects that are measurable by bankers and landlords. I drain my checking account to take your stupid class to learn how to astral project or some shit.

I am motivated by my limbic system (my amygdala) to take authentic action. Few people (I know, I have asked) have any real feelings about IEEE-754. But IEEE-754 has more real world effects than TS or SS. The trajectories of rockets and the structural integrity of skyscrapers depends, not on your feelings about IEEE-754, but on my feelings about IEEE-754. The motivation I have (my subjective state) matters a great deal since I am laying down transistors that, when voltage is applied, will give you very, very precise answers in floating point notation re: your rocket or skyscraper. You should have strong feelings about my motivations because the architecture of my motivations helps send your rocket into a stable orbit. I behave in a manner consistent with positivist expectations about outcomes.

But I have just told you that feelings and subjective states matter in an area of urban primate disputation (the truth or trustworthiness of floating point arithmetic) that must be true in Quadrant 1 -- the positivist's 'real world'. I claim that this is Quadrant 1 interacting with Quadrant 2.

So what did you think about the article?

--
-Kirk
512-761-7307

No comments: