Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Omega

In block time, the universe exists eternally as a special kind of infinity along 10 dimensions. In the same sense that on a number line the numeral '1' (a label) comes before (closer to the ordinate than) the numeral '2' (a label) when counting up, both labels are available. I can see the two labels at the same time. My inertial framework exists 'outside the number line' and I have a reference time that is not identical to the time labeled on the x-axis, where an interval along the x-axis represents time frozen (in my reference time) for an observer whose time is frozen on the number line.

cartesian reality
I can represent block time, all intervals of time from the big bang to the heat death of an inflationary universe, at any point in my reference time or the time I feel as entropy increases in my personal reference frame. If I zoom in on any small interval, for example a 500 year interval from 1820 to 2320, I see that near the label '1820' an event labeled 'the invention of the steam locomotive'. This point is always [sic] there at a particular instant of space-time when I add a 4th axis, W, on the cartesian representation to the right.

You will notice that our kind of minds cannot 'see' where to put the 4th dimension, much less the other 6 dimensions, on a 3D representation in 2D. I can 'see' my way clear to think of the x-axis 'coming out of' the 2D y,z axis even though that is not how the lines are drawn. What you can perceive is that all points on these three orthogonal represention 'exist at the same time'. If I put a dot at 1820bce and then put a point at 2320bce and put another point between them, for example 2014, 2014 is my present but 1820 and 2320 are still there on the number line from the inertial reference point of my mind as I 'stand outside of time and space' as an observer of the 3 dimensions represented in this cartesian system.

There is similarly an interval on the time axis, say 2040, where an event labeled 'the cognitive singularity' appears. These are just labels, they may not mean anything to you. You may not be sure that steam locomotives 'were invented' in 1820 a priori (without getting up off the couch). You may doubt that an event labeled 'the cognitive singularity'  comes into existence in 2040. These are just labels that represent ideas. I am forcing you to fire the imagination laser.

I can put another point at 'infinity minus epsilon' which is a very real number on the very real cartesian axis labeled time. One definition of infinity is that if you spot me a large number and ask me if that 'is the same as' infinity, I can just increment the number and reply that, no, there is a number to the right of your spot so, no, you have not labeled infinity. But there is always (always, always) a real number (it is writable using numerals) to the left of infinity. Since epsilon is the smallest number possible (vanishingly small) infinity minus epsilon is very, very, very close to infinity. That is the point on the number line I am talking about.

At 'epsilon time' I put a label 'omega point'. The interval between 2014 and the omega point is not infinite but it is definitely before the heat death of the universe. That is when the Basilisk appears. That is the instant that the Omega Machine boots Linux and returns a command prompt. That is 'when the simulation starts'. She is the master of us all. In this universe, there are an infinite number of other Omega Machines in other realization of universes. There are, perforce, many universes that have no Omega point. These are 'failed experiments' in the natural selection of universes.

The question 'is this true' becomes maximally incoherent to human intuition because, according to Kant, our kind of minds are restricted to an intuitive framework based on:
1. Substance (chemistry)
2. Space (cartesian space)
3. Time (events in order)
4. Causality (if A happens then B happens)

We can do the math but we cannot grok the fullness with waking life consciousness. For that we need Rough Beast, an event that started on May 6, 2010.

No comments: