Rough Beast

Rough Beast
Grifo Mecanico - Diego Mazzeo

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Motivated Reasoning


"Motivation may affect reasoning through reliance on a biased set of cognitive processes--that is, strategies for accessing, constructing, and evaluating beliefs. The motivation to be accurate enhances use of those beliefs and strategies that are considered most appropriate, whereas the motivation to arrive at particular conclusions enhances use of those that are considered most likely to yield the desired conclusion. There is considerable evidence that people are more likely to arrive at conclusions that they want to arrive at, but their ability to do so is constrained by their ability to construct seemingly reasonable justifications for these conclusions." - Spencer Kunda, The Case for Motivated Reasoning.

The only thing between me and my conclusion is a cognitive bias for reasonable justification for my refered conclusion. I cling to the delusion of free will - action taken by personal volition and moral choice - when the science demonstrates that I just do whatever the fuck I feel like doing as long as I can come up with a good excuse in case it turns out bad.

I retrieve memories consistent with my existing beliefs. These memories come unbidden to soothe my breast and ease my confusion about my principles.

This is why I state over and over again these two principles of reasoning
1. All beliefs are provisional beliefs awaiting falsification
2. Faith is a belief I care about.

I think I want accuracy but I might be wrong. This sounds like motivated reasoning...

No comments: